Thursday, June 23, 2011

Summer Squash Bread

Each year, we plant a small garden in our backyard. By we, I mean my husband. I watch it from the window - the planting, growing, and harvesting. But, when he brings me beautiful veggies like these, I want to start experimenting!

Maybe you've never heard of summer squash bread, but just think about zucchini bread - it's the same thing!!! This year, we planted summer squash (also known as crookneck squash) in our garden, so I need to start working on recipes to use the squash as it ripens. Unfortunately, I let these first ones ripen too much, so they are large and full of seeds. I ended up removing most of the seeds as I grated the squash for this recipe, but normally it isn't necessary.


Here's the recipe to make 2 loaves:


3 eggs, beaten
2 cups sugar
1 T. vanilla
1 T. cinnamon
½ cup applesauce
½ cup vegetable oil

Add all of the above ingredients in a large bowl, and mix until blended.

Add 2 cups grated summer squash. (It is not necessary to peel the squash, just wash and grate. If you want to take the time to remove the seeds, then go ahead, but it isn’t necessary unless you have a LOT of them.)

After blending again, add:
1 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
½ t. baking powder
3 cups flour (I add one cup at a time and mix well before adding more)Pour into 2 greased loaf pans, and bake at 325 for about 55-60 minutes, or until golden and set. Cool for at least 15 minutes before removing from pan, then slice.

My favorite way to eat any sweet bread is with cream cheese! Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment